*** Allach Porcelain - Art and Porcelain ***

History of Allach Porcelain

Since 1927 Franz Nagy owned a property of approximately 2000 square meters in Lindenstr. 8, today Reinhard-von-Frank-Str. 8, in the vicinity of Krauss-Maffei in Allach near Munich. Where he founded a ceramic workshop and began to produce art porcelain there in 1936 with his business partners, the porcelain painter Karl Diebitsch, the then well-known porcelain artist Theo Kärner and the merchant Bruno Galke.

Karl Diebitsch, an SS man of the first hour and acquaintance of Heinrich Himmler, presumably from his Munich days. It was him who made the relationship with the General SS from the beginning. In 1939, the long-planned and final takeover of the company by the Allgemeine SS in Berlin was completed.

Nagy senior (and also Theodor Kärner) were thus expropriated. The manufactory was subordinated to the "Hauptamt Verwaltung und Wirtschaft" belonging to the Allgemeine SS in Berlin and recruited the best available artists.


Allach Porcelain manufacturer


The building of the Allach porcelain production was in the Lindenstrasse 8, which was renamed into Reinhard-von-Frank-Str. 8 in Allach.


This unique concentration of the best artists, designers, potters and all important craftsmen for the production of high-quality porcelain made it possible within the nine-year period of existence of the manufactory to create the highest quality porcelain objects, such as historical equestrian figures, animals, Moriskentänzer and jugglers, candle holders, vases, but also to produce political figurines and objects.

The following artists can be mentioned here: Prof. Benno von Arent (Berlin), Karl Diebitsch (Munich), Richard Förster (Munich), Prof. Theodor Kärner (Munich), Prof. Wilhelm Krieger (Herrsching), Franz Nagy sen. (Munich), Wilhelm Neuhäuser (Dachau), Ottmar Obermaier (Munich), Adolf Roehring (Dachau) and Prof. Willy Zügel (Munich).

The SS runes became trademarks of the new porcelain. The manufactory's production included a wide variety of art objects as well as tableware with a total of approx. 240 porcelain and ceramic models. In the course of time, the manufactory developed into the favorite project of Heinrich Himmler, Reichsführer of the SS.

Due to a rapid expansion of the company, the plants in Allach were no longer sufficient. As early as 1937, the largest part of the production was relocated to the site of the SS training and education camp at the Dachau concentration camp, today's area of the VI. Riot police Dachau. A guided tour through this area by an intimate and highly knowledgeable Historian of this area, Mr. Papenfuß, is highly recommended. The former production plant of the Pulverpreßwerk, which dates back to the First World War, no longer exists today. But there are aerial photos, maps and a photograph. Eventually, the entire porcelain production was moved there, while in Allach from 1942 art ceramics, such as plates, jugs and vases, was produced. During the war years, Dachau also produced simple everyday objects, such as ointment containers and canteen tableware.


We wish to state that this web site does not endorse the political philisophies of the Third Reich. We do not support Nazism or National Socialism in any form or manner. We are collectors and historians and believe that history should be preserved, both good and evil, in order that the evil cannot repeat itself.